Saturday, November 8, 2008

My life span was cut in half

Shortly after I wrote my last blog post there were some loud noises outside of my office. The other teacher in the office checked to see what the noise was.  She came back and told me that there was some work being done on the school.  We both went back to work.  A little while later it started to smell in the office.  The teacher again went to check to see what was going on.  She came back and said that they were disinfecting the school.  Her English is not very good so I didn't ask much further and she went back to work so I did too.  After about another half hour another teacher came in and told us we should leave the building because the fumes were poisonous.  I looked up and all around the office it looked like a smoky barroom.  There was a haze and the smell was strong.  I ran out of the building with my scarf around my face and the principal was outside laughing at me.  

I am incredibly worried that I will now develop lung cancer next week.  I know there's a language barrier and a lot gets lost in translation, but I feel that we should have been warned about these toxic fumes.  I was able to leave school an hour early but that's a small price to pay for the cancer that I am surely to develop from this incident.  

No comments: