Alright, time to be honest with you dear readers. I didn't post for awhile, because for most of April I was feeling a bit negative about Korea and the whole teaching experience here. And I didn't want to spread my negativity to others. As I've always been told, "if you don't have anything nice to blog, don't blog anything at all." I think that's how it goes. I was rather homesick through most of April. I'm not exactly sure why. I think most of it stemmed from the fact that I was not getting along with Peter (my co-teacher) at all. In fact I'm still not entirely getting along with him, but I basically just ignore him now. He is a rather despicable person, and it's taken me awhile to realize this. For the longest time I thought he was what all older Korean men are like. But from talking more with my other co-teachers, he is a really difficult person to work with. I'm glad it's not just me. Anyway, I'm over my homesickness now. I will be very excited to go home when the time comes, but for now I'm happy to still be experiencing what I'm experiencing. I'm trying to focus on the positive. And there's plenty to be positive about. Allow me to list some good things about my life in Korea: The amazing ex-pat friends I've made here; Korean food that is veg friendly; the abundance of tofu; my co-teacher Woo Yeong (Sharon); my students; the technology at my school; ample mountains for hiking; shoe stores; Korean fashion; kimchi; my nice vice principal; the weather we're currently having; the hospitality of most Koreans; cute Korean children; going out for drinks with Koreans; knowing that I am missed at home; the travel opportunities coming up; spicy Korean food; Korean dramas; the parents in my parents class; the one student who shows up for my conversation class; students who tell me things like, "your eyes are the color of the sky"; having time to read for fun; hearing random English phrases from Koreans that we would never actually say; public transportation; a small apartment which means I have less to clean; soju and juice mixes; cheap food and drinks; pachingae (Korean pancakes); and most importantly, the friends I've made here. |
Monday, May 18, 2009
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oh! what a good list. I love the last one, of course.
I went through the same period of depression/job-loathing around the 6month mark of being in Taiwan.
I'm glad you've snapped out of it (and I'm glad I did too).
Like you said, when the time comes for me to go home, I'll be ready. But for now, I'm enjoying the experiences I've been given! :)
Welcome back to the blogging world!
Cheers.
Post a Comment