Okay, this was written about a week or two ago, but like the procrastinator I am, I'm just posting it now.
Homesickness has finally hit me in two separate incidents. It's definitely not bad enough to send me home or anything, but it was unexpected. A group of us have established a game/movie night. A week and a half ago we got together and ended up watching the movie Click with Adam Sandler. I didn't really have a desire to see the movie but majority vote won out. Little did I know I was about to see an incredibly sad, touching, albeit cheesy movie. It is kind of along the lines of It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol. Anyway, it really highlighted the importance of family and not missing out on family events, important life milestones, etc.
I teared up a bit at the end of the movie. Never would I have thought an Adam Sandler movie could make me become a weepy mess. Ironically, I skipped out on a Skype date with my mom to go to movie night. The movie made me realize that I'm forfeiting a year with my friends and family to be in South Korea. With Grandma Jo having a stroke while I'm over here, it's really been difficult at times being gone.
So this is how I was feeling after watching the movie. After thinking about it a bit more, I gained a new perspective. As I posted in a previous entry, I spent some time with my grandparents before I left for Korea. We went gambling and had a nice time at the casino and also on the bus ride there. If I hadn't been leaving for Korea I probably would've foregone the casino outing because it wouldn't have seemed as important to go with them because I could see them any time. Who knows if I would have even seen Grandma Jo again before she had the stroke. The same thing applies with my friends. Before I left for Korea I got together with almost all of my friends, some I hadn't even seen in months. If I hadn't left for Korea, I probably wouldn't have gotten together with all of those people, especially the ones I hadn't seen in awhile.
Another bout of homesickness hit me at school last week. I was having a meeting with my English co-teachers and one of them asked me what has been difficult about teaching in Korea or what I miss about teaching in the U.S. I started tearing up as I explained that I missed having a relationship with my students. While teaching in the U.S. I prided myself on the positive relationships I fostered with the students at my school. Here in Korea, the students love me but only because I am the token American and we play games in my class. I love them dearly, but I can't have a real relationship with most of them because their English is so limited. Also, I've stayed in touch with a lot of my former students and I received a lot of emails from them last week and that just added to the homesick feeling.
Please don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it here and know that I made the right decision in coming. This past weekend in Seoraksan cemented that decision. (You'll see in my next post--especially if you look at my pictures.)
So moral of the story: Appreciate what you have while you have it, and don't underestimate Adam Sandler and his ability to tug at the heart strings. Could I be any cheesier right now? Probably not.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Hon,
Dad and I are sitting in front of the tv rooting for Obama and knowing how much you would enjoy the coverage. Thanks for writing your blog. We love reading what you're up to. As to your cheesy side, it's the best part of you, your heart and soul. As a teacher the best part of our jobs are the kids. We all miss you here, but are happy when you are happy. We will be here when you come home. So will your students from Red Wing. Be safe and enjoy each day! Love, Mom and Dad
That is not a good movie. But it's ok. Because I miss you. As does Catherine. Can I get a blog post dedicated to me? That would be really inspirational. Can't wait to see you in less than two months!
I know exactly how you feel. I've been keeping up with my students (some in college now) and every time I get a new batch of pictures, I get a little maudlin.
I have managed to start what little of a bond I can make with two students, though. One is Grade 3, so I don't teach her. She just comes in between classes and we talk about TV shows that we like. The other is a pretty advanced Grade 2 kid who seems a little awkward but always comes in early to talk.
But it's just not the same sometimes... I do miss my actor kids... little bunch of creepy hooligans that they are.
But you know if you were home we'd still get to hang out all the time. J/K, although I have a fear that by the time you come home I will have moved. Nothing to dwell on right now.
Post a Comment