Monday, February 23, 2009

My School

My school just opened a year ago and I am the first native English teacher to teach at the school.  Most other Korean public schools have an English Zone where the native English teachers teach.  However, because my school is still new, they are currently building my English Zone.  Work should be completed by the end of this week.  Let me tell you, I might as well be on a TV show titled "Pimp My Classroom" because that is exactly what is happening.  I will have a sweet computer with a touch screen that projects onto a huge screen that is a touch screen.  There are a bunch of computers on one side of the room, the students will sit at nice tables, there are large wooden signs that swivel, the room is divided into two rooms, the walls are brightly painted, and I don't even know what else because it's not finished yet.  But it is going to be sweet.  AND I get to move my office so that I am no longer in the same office as the vice principal.  I love her dearly, but it will be nice to not have to pretend like I am always working on days when I have absolutely nothing to do (like today for example).  

Today Peter told me to think of a good name for the English Zone.  Usually most schools just call the English room "English Zone" but he thinks it's too overused.  He suggested the name "English Dream Room" but the vice principal didn't like it.  So I have to come up with a name that will be painted on the outside of the "English Zone" wing of the building (yeah, the English room has its own wing).  He told me to email other people and ask around and think of a good name.  Then later in the day he told me that he thought of the name "Albatross Talk Room".  At first I didn't think I heard him correctly because I was not sure how "albatross" fit in with an English room, but then I remembered that the albatross is the school's bird (like a mascot, maybe?).  I tried to tell him politely that if I were a random person walking into the school and I saw that sign, I would have no idea what it meant.  So if you happen to have any good ideas for renaming the English Zone, please feel free to let me know.  Right now I'm thesaurusing "Zone" and not coming up with too many winners so I would love some help.  

So I made this video of my school in December I think, but never got around to uploading it.  Once my new classroom is finished I will probably take more video because this one will be out of date.  In the video you can see the outside of my school, my current office, and some of my students.  I hope I don't cause anyone to have a seizure as they watch this because the camerawork is a bit shaky.  I do apologize.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss those little hotties. can you say jail bait?

Anonymous said...

haha i love it. Thanks for showing the vid!!!

Anonymous said...

Instead of the typical English Zone.. how about...
The Nook :)
The Reading Room :)

First time to comment. I visit your blog once in a while, started going through it once I found out I may be sent to Korea and be an assistant for a University in Daegu. Fun! Always end up laughing when I read your posts. Hilarious :)

Dash said...

how about a "you are now leaving the Korean Zone" sign? you know, Cold War style, or is that a little too political?

What about using a very English name? Like "Walter's Den" or "Smith's Hangout/Cove" etc?

Anonymous said...

Wow, your new room and office sound AWESOME!
The vid is great too.
I love how you ask them to say something else in English and like kids everywhere, one goes "I don't know!"

:)