Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bushy! and how I appear to be an alcoholic...

Last week we began a new school year.  Because my school is new, they add a new grade of students each year.  So I am now teaching a new batch of tenth graders and then the eleventh graders I had last year.  Being here six months made me forget the celebrity status I enjoyed back in September.  But last week brought it all back for me with a new crew of students.  God love 'em all.  They are hilarious. 

 Because they are so curious about me, I give them about twenty minutes of our first class together to ask me any questions they would like about me.  Some of my favorites included: "What do you think of the Free Trade Agreement between Korea and the United States?" Uhhh... what?  "What is your phone number?"  "Are Korean students or American students more handsome?" 

And this was a popular one:  "Bushy or Obama?"  (meaning do I prefer Bush or Obama as president).  Sidenote:  In Korean, all words end with a vowel sound, so most Koreans put an "uh" or "ey" sound on the ends of their words.  My favorite is when they call George Bush "George-uh Bush-y".  Most of my students are obsessed with Obama.  I'm not entirely sure why because they actually don't know that much about him. 

Another favorite of mine: one of my students asked me, "Do you like beer?"
Peter quickly responded, "Yes, she likes beer very VERY much!"

Thanks Peter, make me out to be a drunk.  But as I've mentioned before, drinking does not have the same stigma it does in the U.S. so the students thought nothing of Peter's emphatic answer.

After I told one class that I liked K-pop (Korean pop music) one of the boys got down on his knees begging me to sing a song.  He then started chanting "Sing Sing Sing" until all the other boys chimed in.  I did not subject the students to that torture though, so I did not sing for them.  Anyway, with a two month break from most of my students I forgot what an adventure teaching high school Korean boys is.  I love it.

3 comments:

Dash said...

lol. bill cosby was right...

Unknown said...

Hi, I came across your blog while searching for blogs from people teaching English abroad. I've really liked reading it so far! My friend and I are interested in teaching abroad and we've applied to one recruiting company so far. I know you mentioned that you went through Canadian Connection, I was wondering, did you apply to other recruiting companies as well, and if so what were they?

Anonymous said...

I liked reading this post, just keep posts like this one coming lot often.



Steve