Korea proves to be good for the waistline. I recently weighed myself and realized that I've lost a considerable amount of weight since coming to Korea about 4 1/2 months ago. I can't say that I've really been trying to lose weight, it just kind of happened and I welcome nice little surprises like that. So because it's the new year and we're all trying to lose a few LBs, I'll let you in on my non-diet secrets. Here's a step by step guide:
1. Move to South Korea. 2. Don't use a car. Instead, walk everywhere, or use public transportation. 3. When using said public transportation (namely the subway), take the stairs everywhere instead of the escalator or elevator. 4. Eat like a Korean. This involves lots of spicy food (which burns extra calories) and no cheese (that alone is probably why I've lost weight). 5. Do not sit on the bus. Instead, stand and hold on for dear life. The buses operate with a stick shift in Korea. This involves a lot of abrupt stopping and starting and incredible corner-turning. Standing on the bus provides an incredible ab workout because every core muscle is needed to stop from careening across the bus. 6. Hike up one of the many mountains in Korea. This is a favorite Korean pasttime. 7. Walk outside in the cold. Being slightly cold burns more calories. 8. Take up another favorite Korean tradition, taekwondo. 9. Do not speak the same language as food delivery services. This will ensure that you burn at least some calories as you walk to the nearest pizza place. 10. Develop a love for kimchi. Apparently it's very healthy. So is every other food in Korea, according to Koreans. 11. Don't take the elevator to your apartment. Instead, walk up the stairs.
12. Eat healthy things for "dessert", like sweet potatoes.
13. Surround yourself with people who wear a size 0-2. It's a great motivator to continue healthy behaviors.
14. Realize that you can't fit into any clothes in the country unless you're a size 0-2. It's another great motivator to continue healthy behaviors.
If you'd like more weight loss tips, check out my weight loss blog: Health is the New Black. Anna Rickert MN |
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
The South Korea Diet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Sweetie,
You are so funny! But some of what you said is so true. Good advice Abby! Love you. Also, none of that 0-2 stuff! Healthy is the way to be. Love, Mom
Wow, sounds healthy! I don't know if I could eat too much spicy food though. I can't handle it!
I think I better lose some weight before I go in 2010 - I'm not fat by western standards but I might feel weird rocking up and being the fattest looking Korean!
I know it would be difficult, but is it possible to find larger size clothing in Seoul?
haha..this is hilarious. I'm a Korean-American gal and can attest to almost all these things.
Post a Comment