High school boys here are very different from high school boys in the states. People don't really believe in homosexuality here so boys are much more touchy-feely here than in the states. It is common to see my Korean students with their arms around each other, rubbing each others' backs, or grabbing each others' hands. Also, many of my students have pink sandals, socks, pencil cases, notebooks, and many of them will tell you their favorite color is pink. At first it was a bit unnerving, because I'm so used to the hyped-up masculinity in the U.S. where two men must sit a seat away from each other and no high school boy would ever be caught dead with his arm around another dude. Now I find it incredibly refreshing. My students here seem so much more innocent and unaware of social norms around them. A couple examples of this phenomenon:
This phenomenon doesn't end in high school. This is in Bupyeoung, a big city center in Incheon. This man is trying to get people to go to a big night in Bupyeoung.
I know I showed this picture in an earlier post, but I just had to illustrate again my students' t-shirts at Sports Day. The back of their shirts had a string bikini tie and a butterfly tattoo on the back.


1 comment:
i think most Asian boys are like that,they like to their put arms around each other and goof around.
anyway, nice posts going on here. hope to read more of your Korean adventure and experiences.
God Bless you in your endeavors.
Post a Comment