1. I love the people I've gotten to know through orientation. I'm very fortunate to have made some close friends. And everyone from orientation is a lot of fun to go out with.
2. Korean people are extremely friendly, hospitable, and nice. Every teacher at my school tries so hard to make me feel welcome, whether they speak English or not.
3. No one speaks English here. It's very odd because many Koreans know English but are too afraid to speak it.
4. I love my students. They are funny, well-behaved, respectful, and so nice. If only they could speak better English. (Wait...that's why I'm here...)
5. People stare. Kids yell "hi". Young children look at me strangely because I'm probably the first white person they've seen. Everyone tells me I'm beautiful. If you're looking for an ego boost and attention, head to Korea.
6. I really enjoy soju (it's like vodka but weaker) and it's incredibly cheap here. Beer is tolerable but weak.
7. When we go out to bars we have to order anju or basically appetizers. Fruit is popular to eat while drinking. I'm learning not to crave fried food.
8. Groceries are not as cheap as I had thought they would be.
9. I really enjoy noraebangs. Basically you and your friends rent a room and sing karaoke. They provide you with tambourines and morrocas.
10. People try to speak Korean to me all the time, even though I think it's quite obvious I don't understand.
11. I don't miss foods from home as much as I thought I would.
12. The U.S. has definitely influenced Korean culture with McDonald's, KFC, Bennigans, TGI Fridays, Outback Steakhouse, Baskin Robbins, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, 7 Eleven.
13. I can't believe it's been three weeks since I've talked to my parents.
14. I'm not homesick yet, but I'm sure that will come.

1 comment:
Hi Dear,
This is in regards to #13. When will phone service be available in S. Korea? You would think as wired as the country is suppose to be, phone service would be next. We miss you, in a good way, not homesick way. We love you, Mom
Post a Comment