Thursday, September 25, 2008

Triumphs

Everyday is an adventure here in the land of the morning calm.  Let me share some of my mini triumphs in the last week.
1.  Tonight Chrissy and I went out to dinner and we only had to walk into one restaurant to find vegetarian food, instead of walking out of four.
2.  I have a mentally disabled boy who visits me between every class period.  He doesn't speak English and I don't speak Korean.  The other day we actually had a conversation where we both understood each other.  Lots of pointing and gesturing was involved.
3.  I got paid today (I am now a millionaire!... in Korean won).
4.  One of my co-teachers who I feel is annoyed with me most of the time invited me to go to an amusement park with her and her family this weekend.
5.  There was an actual normal vegetable (steamed broccoli) at lunch today.
6.  I am pretty good at the chopsticks (even with rice).
7.  I've figured out how to stop the incessant staring from Koreans.  I stare back.  They don't like when the tables are turned.
8.  I've found a store that sells books in English and another that sells magazines in English (both within walking distance of my apartment!).  
9.  I am now completely sure of my bus stops both to and from school.  
10.  I can jaywalk without getting hit by cars. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Anna! Sounds like you're getting completely accustomed to being over there. By the way, America still misses you.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Melissa. Honey, you sound smitten with S. Korea. It's wonderful to see it through your eyes. We stateside folks do miss you. Love, Mom