The other Korean English teacher has her office on the second floor. Today I went into her office and all of the teachers on the second floor gathered around me. They got me coffee, had me sit down, attempted to speak what little English they knew (I could tell they were trying so hard), told me I had beautiful eyes, and then offered me beer. Yes, they offered me beer. One teacher asked, "You like beer?" I said yes and he ran to the refrigerator and pulled some out. I told him oh no, not now, thank you. The Korean English teacher said they are much more laid back because they don't have the vice president (she meant vice principal) in their office.
Overall the hospitality in this country is amazing. All of the teachers and staff at my school bend over backwards to make sure that I have everything I need. The few who speak English attempt to speak to me. At lunch today one teacher tried to talk to me about seaweed although I had no idea what he was saying and I don't think he did either. Yesterday another teacher kept bringing grapes over to my desk. I've been shown how to make coffee in the office at least five times since Friday. At stores people are patient while I gesture or attempt to speak poor Korean. It's quite comforting.

No comments:
Post a Comment